Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.

Trans Borg warner 10-18-012 2.9:1: I

I have a borg warner velvet drive 10-18-012 transmission attached to a 454 ci crusader. Discovered an oil/water milky mixture in the transmission when checked after the last engine run. Will this oil/water mixture damage the transmission if I run it for approximately three hours to get back to the marina? Have drained the oil water mixture and replaced with new ATF fluid. I ran the engine at about 2000 RPMs for almost a half hour and rechecked the fluid. Fluid looked okay. I ran again for a half hour and the fluid started to look slightly milky. So, I have about 25 miles to get back to my marina...if I were change the fluid again, would I do irreversible damage to the transmission if I were to make the run at 8-9 knots (about 1800-2000 RPMs.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like your transmission cooler is leaking and allowing coolant into the transmission fluid,I have seen this several times before.

What happens when water enters the transmission is this can quickly damage the transmission mechanical components as well as cause components to stick and in some cases damage any electrical components in the transmission as well.

I don't recommend driving it like this even with the fluid swapped out as water is still going to make its way into the transmission and cause more damage.If possible I would have it towed to a repair facility or to where you want to take it and the transmission cooler replaces and the transmission fluid completely flushed with a flush machine,then if equipped with a transmission filter the filter removed and replaced.

I have seen some drive their vehicle this way and with a short distance didn't cause any damage but it isn't recommended.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience: GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete, Thanks for your reply. I am taking your advice and changing out the oil cooler and of course changing the fluid. It means I will have to do a little driving to get the parts and then install in a remote location, but that is better than replacing the transmission. Thanks again for your response. Gene Gehlbach
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Your welcome Gene.Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No add'l info needed at this time. Thanks. Gene
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Your welcome.I will close out this question.

Thanks Pete