Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Transmissions Ford Escort: I have a 1993 Ford Escort. Recently,

I have a 1993 Ford Escort. Recently, the transmission stopped working abruptly. No indication of abnormal driving. Just stopped. No sounds or movement f forward or revere gears. I checked the fluid and it appears alright. No black or burnt smell. Where should I start diagnosing the issue. Shift linkage looks like it is working well.

Hello, I'm Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Will the vehicle roll in all gears other than park and will it not roll in park?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The vehicle rolls well in forward and reverse. I have jacked both sides up and confirmed that both axels are engaged when the transmission is in park.

Thanks this verifies the shift linkage is connected and is moving the parts inside the transaxle, also verifies the CV joints are good. This leaves the pump pressure to low or zero. We need to check this with a line pressure test. If the pressure is low or none then the pump shaft has broken, or the pump has failed or the drive inside the converter that drives the pump has stripped. The next step will be removing the trans to check the converter and pump shaft, then the pump inspection if needed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not familiar with testing the transmission pressure. Can you recommend a tool for this? Is this done at the interface to the radiator? I appreciate your assistance.
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris