Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Auto Mechanic
Experience:  35+ years experience transmission repair

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer: Hi, I have a 2003 Ford Explorer

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer with 177,000 miles on it. I just purchased it and as with most of these it has a transmission problem. I knew that going into the purchase but I have worked on cars all my life and I am not a stranger to transmissions. It has the 5R55S 2L2P unit. I was receiving erratic shifts, flares etc. and It threw the P0745 code for the pressure control solenoid "B" malfunction. I replaced the solenoid, no change. Decide to do a full rebuild, clutches, seal, rebuilt torque converter, Transgo shift correction kit so I could only do this once....or so I thought. I am on my fifth pull of this beast and still get the same code. I pull out of my driveway, proceed down one block after it shifts to second I come to a stop sign, start to pull away and it sounds the alarm and throws the same code. I am 63 years old and getting tired of this one. I followed the ATSG manual as well as the Ford Factory shop manual. STUMPED!

How does it shift? Is everything working ok except throwing that code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope, it will shift with flare throughout the ranges plus no O/D ever. Gets worse as you drive along. More than a few miles and the shift lever get stiff. I did ohms check from wiring harness at PCM through the sensor and solenoid block. Replaced all sensors as well.

If you have a scanner you can click here and go through and test the wiring and the PCM. I would have to say that if the wiring is good then it must be a PCM error. You might also want to call Ford and give them your vin# XXXXX they can see if the PCM has ever had a flash update to the PCM software, because that solves some of these issues.

Please remember to rate my assistance today and just let me know if you have any further questions. If not, thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a scanner other than computer with OBDII software. Code reading and clearing basically. I have a multi-meter so I will run the checks that apply to that and let you know the outcome.

Sounds good John,

Please remember to rate my assistance today and remember that if you have any further questions you can post right back to this page and it doesnt cost more.