Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years of practical experience in the automotive industry
2947720

Ford Ranger: This morning my clutch is feeling really loose

This morning my clutch is feeling really loose and it's difficult to shift.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Super Mechanic :

Hello and welcome. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.
Hi, Jason,
.

Do you know if the fluid is full?
.

Do the gears shit easier with the engine not running?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The fluid was out, I just refilled it. Right now the only way for me to shift is if the engine is off.

How do I get the air out of line? How much fluid should I expect to put in?

Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.
From empty it will normally hold about 8 ounces.
.

It sounds like the slave cylinder may have leaked all the fluid out. After filling you will want to have someone push the clutch pedal while you open the bleeder valve. Have them pump the pedal and repeat the process until the fluid comes out clear, (with no air bubbles)
.
.

The bleeder valve is on the side of the bell housing next to where the fluid line goes into the bell housing. The slave cylinder is part of the throwout bearing and the trans has to come out to replace it.
.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

After putting fluid in it and driving a few minutes, it's parked and I see some fluid leaking on the opposite side. Is this the problem you were thinking?

Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.
Yes, the slave cylinder and release bearing are one piece and are inside the bell housing.
.
.
Nimber 4 in the diagram.
.

graphic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Should I take it in to the shop then? How much am I looking at?

Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.
Mostly labor, about 4 hours plus. The parts are normally cheaper after market, like at NAPA or such. You also would want to do the clutch and pressure plate while it's apart.
.

Parts Information OEM Part # Price

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Slave Cylinder

Includes: Release Bearing.

6L5Z7A508AB $120.84
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Replace

Includes: R&I Transmission.

B 2.7 4.0

NOTE

With Floor Carpet, Add

B 0.7 0.8

.
With an average of $85 per hour labor rate, with parts and shop fees, between about $650 and $825 at an independent shop, (not dealer)
.

.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: 30+ years of practical experience in the automotive industry