Pete B
Pete B, Transmission Rebuilder
Experience:  30+ years diagnosing and rebuilding transmissions.
73257252

ford contour: 1998 ford contour 2.0L automatic transmission

1998 ford contour 2.0L automatic transmission reverse gear sips
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete B replied 1 year ago.

Pete B :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer! I will help you resolve your transmission problems with 35+ years experience.

Pete B :

hELLO THERE, hOW IS 1ST GEAR WHEN TAKING OFF, DOES IT SLIP ALSO?

Pete B :

Sorry, I had the caps lock on................

Pete B :

I will need to know if it slips in 1st gear when taking off, this makes a difference on how we determine whats going on. Meanwhile, also. could you tell me what kind of condition the trans fluid is in - does it smell burnt (like old coffee grounds), does it look dark colored and is it full? Once I get that information from you we can determine what the cause is. I will wait for your reply and we will continue. Thanks...................Pete

Customer :

no first gear doesnt slip and the transmission oil is full and good

Pete B :

Ok, then you have something wrong in the valve body or in the reverse clutch area. It would not be electrical, because it would affect the whole trans and not just reverse. This was a common problem on this transmission. The only real fix for cost efficency is to replace it with a used one.

Customer :

can i open the transmission and fix it ?

Pete B :

If you are familiar with overhauling transmissions, yes. If you have never opened one up, I suggest not to, but it would be a learning experience for you.

Pete B :

There are books that will tell you step by step available.

Pete B :

If you are interested.

Pete B :

I do not know if you are a novice or a professional, so pardon me, I do not want to offend you.

Customer :

is it easy to take this transmission off or do i have to take the engine off aswel

Customer :

is it easy to buy parts for this transmission?

Pete B :

This transmission requires to be hanging in mid air while you remove the trans, thus an engine support fixture must be obtained, you will be dropping out the whole subframe - it gets kind of messy.

Pete B :

Parts are available at the dealer, but kits are also available at most all aftermarket parts stores, NAPA, etc.

Pete B :

I'm going to give you the removal procedure so you have an idea what is entailed.

Customer :

Okay tomorrow im gonna take the transmission off to open and repair it

Customer :

thank you for your help

Pete B :

Your welcome.

Pete B :

If you have any other questions or concerns, I will be glad to help. Just reply and I will respond back ASAP, thanks.........Pete

Customer :

if i have anymore questions about it after can i ask

Customer :

okay thank you

Pete B :

Within reason, We wont be able to help you through the whole overhaul. If you have any other questions or concerns, I will be glad to help. Just reply and I will respond back ASAP, thanks.........Pete

Pete B :

If you have questions about removal, we can help you there, if needed, overhaul is a rather in depth task and requires alot of time. I can answer any questions on the overhaul if you open a new question with a specific problem, just ask for me, thankyou, and best of luck................Pete

Pete B, Transmission Rebuilder
Experience: 30+ years diagnosing and rebuilding transmissions.
Expert:  Pete B replied 1 year ago.

Fernando,

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have a hayness repair manual but there is barely any transmission information, do you know any books good for explaining the transmission

Expert:  Pete B replied 1 year ago.

The best manuals are ATSG, I can get the site if you wish.

Here is the best books.

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/ford-manuals-1.html

Expert:  Pete B replied 1 year ago.

Did you get that info OK?

This is your trans:

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/ford-manuals-1/cd4e.html