Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

transmission clunks and shudders from first to second gear

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

You have a 4R75E transmission. You are experiencing 2 failures the forward clutch and possibly the intermediate clutch are slipping and most likely the 1-2 shift accumulator has a torn seal. The intermediate clutch (2nd) gear is the one I feel may not be slipping if the accumulator is leaking, it is going to be one or the other. I am sure though you have a forward clutch (1st) gear slipping

Your options at this time are to replace the trans with a Ford remanufactured unit, parts and labor will run about 2600$

Install a junkyard trans and have it serviced once installed. The price varies depending on how much the trans costs, average parts and labor 1200-1600$

Remove your trans and rebuild it an then reinstall it about 1900$.

Sorry for the failure you have experienced and the bad news.

.

.

Thanks for asking your question. Your helping me pay my bills, and I

am hopefully helping you lower your repair bill or at least informing

you of the repair needed prior to getting it fixed.

You are about to see our rating system. The rating is how I am paid.

No rating and I am not paid. Neutral or Negative rating and I am not paid.

I am only paid once you rate OK or GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE.

For some customers there is not a rating, just press ACCEPT then.

Please if you need to follow up, only press REPLY TO EXPERT.

You can also reply after rating if needed. I also ask that you do reply

and state which service you wanted to select because there has been

a problem with the rating system.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is it when i take my foot off accelerator then press it back down it goes into gear with no problem> could it be a vehicle speed sensor? or proably torn seal in the accumilator also when i make right hand turns some times it does it as well. sounds like the transmission looses pressure or something ??? i dont know guess i did not want to here the tranny was shot LOL! my alternator just whent today! is it easy to change the 1 2 accumilator seal?

Thanks for replying.

This will not be a speed sensor issue since that would give you a warning light or message stating there is a concern.

Changing the 1-2 accumulator is not all that hard. You will need to remove the valve body to access and you will need a inch pound torque wrench.

If you want to do this yourself, I can help.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines