Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Trouble code P1744 torque converter/ clutch solenoid r appears

Customer Question

Trouble code P1744 torque converter/ clutch solenoid r appears after briefly driving at freeway speeds. What is most likely repair. 1 guy says replace torque converter and clutches 1 guy says most likely clutch solenoid problem????
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

First off I need to know what the year make and model is?

Is the converter clutch not engaging at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
runs and drives a-ok but after freeway driving code appears, and then upshift is hard for a few stop and goes,No noises , no symtoms. Newly purchased used car!

I still need to know the year make and model vehicle I am going to be helping you with?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You actually need to download and follow this TSB. I would go with what Ford says and not the 2 prior suggestions of most likely. You for sure have to remove the transaxle and for sure have to replace the torque converter, then from there the rest of the checks you need to perform are in the TSB. Replacing the solenoid or the clutches through out is not going to fix this concern.

Thanks for pressing accept. Please reply and let me know if this is what you needed, as well if its not.

I am so glad you decided to come to Just Answer. I noticed your previous visit here where I responded has not been completed and closed out. I hope I met all your expectations and asked all the right questions and provided all the right answers. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with on a new concern, and or follow up with you on your original concern to clear it up or explain it more in layman's terms if not fully understood.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i cannot read the entire answer? what gives?

Are you saying you cant read what I typed or you can download the file I sent?