Marty, Bosch Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch certified master technician. Over 35 years experience.

Mercedes-Benz C280 4Matic: 1997 c280 stuck in 1st gear only

1997 c280 stuck in 1st gear -only error code is P0341

eurotec :

Hi, a P0341 is a fault code for the camshaft position sensor. That fault code is not keeping your transmission from shifting.

eurotec :

Are you still there?

eurotec :

Can you report back with a little background on the problem so I can try to help? Has any work been done on the transmission? How many miles are on the car? Is the transmission permanently stuck in 1st gear or does it shift some of the time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This came up all of a sudden with no warring.

I have not had any work done on this care in over 1 year.

The car was working fine on Monday, went to start it today and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't even crank.

I managed to get it started by turning the ignition to 2nd position, the on position, and waiting about 4 seconds, then turning the to start.

The transmition will not shift out of 1st gear, It will shift to reverse and operate in either reverse or drive, but in drive it stays in 1steven at normal operating temperture.

Very copnfused.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I forgot to mention that I changed out the battery thinking that is was the cause of the starting problem. It tested bad with 1 dead cell.
Hi, sorry for the delay. I was unable to access your question last night.

When the transmission stays in low gear it has defaulted to what is called limp home mode. This happens when a fault is detected in the transmission control system. There are a few common things that will cause this problem. Either a faulty gear recognition sensor in the shifter, a faulty electronic conductor plate in the transmission or a faulty wire harness connector to the transmission. You are going to need to get the fault codes in the transmission control module checked. A basic code reader cannot retrieve transmission codes. The fault codes that are stored will point to the problem. Just reply back if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just remembere3d that I took the car through one of those automated car washes on Monday.

Could this have caused an electrical problem with connector to the transmition.

Thanks for your help,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also, where is the transmission Harness Connector located?

I think I need to check this out.

Hi Bob, the harness connector is located at the right front corner of the transmission just above the transmission pan. I would not think that anything could have occurred at the car wash unless the inside of the car got wet and the shifter somehow got liquid inside.