Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a licensed attorney ready to answer your questions in a variety of areas.
97407003

I got a penalty assessment offense for careless driving

Customer Question

I got a penalty assessment offense for careless driving while on a car accident without bodily injury. Officer gave the option to pay the offense before court date which I accidentally missed. A warrant was issued against me and later detained by the sheriff. I was promptly released by paying the $500 bond and given a new court date. At the court I was offered a plea bargain for "Fictitious Plates" with zero points. What are the repercussions of taking that plea vs "careless driving"
JA: What state is this in? And do you have a reliable court contact?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes, later to accept or not the plea bargain
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Whether I should accept the plea bargain or not and the future legal repercussions of it.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 12 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

So, we can't provide specific advice on this site, but we can offer you some general information so you are empowered to make the best decision. First, I would recommend finding a lawyer that specializes in criminal defense (click here) before making the decision. However, I can provide you what the penalties are for each of these criminal causes of action:

Typically careless driving is a Class 2 misdemeanor offense and is punishable by up to one year in jail as well as fines ranging from $250 to $1,000.

Displaying Fictitious License Plates is a Class 2 Misdemeanor Traffic Offense punishable by 10 days to 90 days in jail and a fine of $150 to $300 plus court costs and community service.

It appears as if the fictitious license plate offense is a lighter offense. Plus, if there are zero points on your record, this could help your driver's insurance rates as well.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?