Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Yesterday I was served by an officer in Arizona with a

Customer Question

Hello. Yesterday I was served by an officer in Arizona with a traffic ticket violation for speeding over the 20 mph, and the ticket mentioned that is considered a criminal traffic violation. I did some research and I realized that this is a serious issue because I could be facing in the worst case scenario up to 30 days in Jail, a 500 dls fine, having a criminal offense record, and losing 3 points in my license that seriously affect my future in getting a job, or even losing my driving privileges. Unfortunately at this point I can't afford a lawyer due to financial hardship, but I will greatly appreciate any legal advise or information so I can prepare myself when facing the Judge at court date which is in less than 2 weeks. Please I really need help, so again, any advise would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ray replied 6 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 days ago.

Call the court here about deferred adjudication taking defensive driving.

ou'll be eligible to use a defensive driving course to dismiss a traffic ticket if you:

• Have not used a defensive driving course to dismiss a ticket within the past 12 months.
  • Are only dismissing 1 violation.
  • Were not in an accident that involved a serious injury or death.
  • Hold a non-commercial driver's license.
  • Complete the course at least 7 days before your scheduled court date.

For a complete list of traffic violations codes that are eligible for ticket dismissals, please visit the Arizona courts website.

This would be the best outcome to avoid conviction /points etc.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 days ago.

Penalties you want to avoid

• A ticket for 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit starts at a fine of $250.00, and typically raises by $50 for every 5 m.p.h. over 10.
  • At 20 miles an hour over the posted speed limit, the ticket can be raised by as much as $200.00, and the driver is subject to having his or her license automatically suspended or revoked at the time of the traffic stop.

The amount assessed to a speeding ticket changes, however, if the driver was caught speeding by one of the stationary traffic cameras. The fines that come in the mail are a set rate of $165.00, plus up to $30.00 in surcharges and fees. These tickets arrive via certified mail, and are usually argued in traffic court.

Call the court and see if you don't qualify for defensive driving.It is really easy you take it online these days.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Let me know if you have followup.