Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

I received a Speeding traffic citation on 12/7/16 from KHP

Customer Question

I received a Speeding traffic citation on 12/7/16 from KHP in Sheridan County. I was traveling 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. The issuing officer was T. Woolsey, #33, and the total fine is $183.00. The court date is 1/9/2017 @ 10am. I do not have a CDL. I live in Omaha and hold a Nebraska driver license.I'm interested in knowing whether or not it makes sense to engage an attorney to see if the impact of the ticket can be reduced. I called Steve Hirsch, county attorney, who told me that there is no driver school option. Is there any other option to eliminate or reduce the ticket? It's almost impossible to find an attorney in Sheridan county.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The ticket is in Kansas. I live in Nebraska.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. I received the ticket from the KHP officer and have not done anything with it as of yet, except call the county attorney to ask about driving school.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 18 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!