Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My question involves vehicle registration and stolen

My question involves vehicle registration and stolen property in the state of: Alabama... not sure if this is the right category, please advise if not
Need some help. I just found out my 70 chevelle was taken from a persons property. Two issues:
The guy said it happened about 2 years ago and he thought I came and got it, never called. Its where work was done to it a few times.
And another thing is, I never registered it. I still have all paper work though. Should I register it first and then put a report in for it? Any thing you can tell me will help
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to register it into your name before you report it stolen. The reason is that the police need proof the vehicle is your name. If the car was being worked on at someone's property then they were liable for care for the vehicle, so they may also be civilly liable to you for the loss of the vehicle if they did not exercise proper care in securing the vehicle from theft.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.