Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

In VA over Christmas break I received a ticket with the

Customer Question

In VA over Christmas break I received a ticket with the offense 46.2-878 Exceeding Speed Limit Set by DOT - $6 per mph over the speed limit. I was 84/70 speed limit. But the officer said he decreased the offense by doing to 878 so I would not be hit too hard by points. What is the likely outcome of me paying this ticket? How many points will be taken off? Will this be on my record as a misdemeanor?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: There was a court summons but I just paid the ticket instead
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a pretty good driving record. I have an upcoming work trip in which I need to drive clients as part of the trip
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 21 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A basic speeding ticket in Virginia is an infraction. It will show on your record, but it shouldn't affect you unless you're a commercial driver.

The number of points depends on how fast you were going. Driving 10-19 miles per hour over the speed limit is 4 points. 1-9 mph is 3 points, and a ticket for 20 mph over or more is 6 points. There is no consequence from the points unless that gives you more than 8 in a 12 month period, in which case you'll get a letter but still be able to drive.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?