CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

What will happen if my friend drove my car without a

Customer Question

What will happen if my friend drove my car without a license? I was sick & I let my friend drive my car, she got pulled over & was handed a notice to appear in court, she's currently fighting for asylum... Will she face deportation?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 23 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Do you know why she got pulled over? Also, is she not able to obtain a license?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
She had her hazards lights on while driving & she can't obtain her license since she has nobody to get it for her.

Thank you for the reply. What State is this in?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Florida

In Florida, this is a traffic criminal offense. It is viewed slightly lower then a misdemeanor but is still a criminal offense. In this case, it MAY subject her to deportation. However, that is between her and the US Government and the court is not likely going to get involved. If she takes a plea deal and resolves this, she will even be warned, that it could subject to her deportation but if this is her only offense, it should not really effect her chance at citizenship. If she continues to drive, then it will be an issue, since she would continuously be violating the law.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
there's a chance of deportion? This is her only offense.

Chance? Yes but it is highly unlikely for something like this. It is not a violent crime or a felony, so I do not think she would get deported or it would be at issue but she needs to be aware if it continues, she could have issues.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Will this go on her record? Will it show up if they search her name?

Yes, it would. It is a traffic criminal violation, so it would be seen. As I shared though, it is relatively minor, even though it is a criminal offense.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Si driving without a valid license will have a low chance of getting deported? Is there anyway that it can be expunged

I do not think she will get deported for this, if it was her first offense. Even if this was expunged, immigration would still be able to see it, so it would not make a difference.

Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 20 days ago.