Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I've worked in a regional manager role for a large public

Customer Question

I've worked in a regional manager role for a large public company for the past 11 years. I get restricted stock options every 3 years, and a annual bonus. One of my restricted options vests 25% at the beginning of February, and Incould cash that portion out. My 2015 annual bonus will be paid in February 2016.If I give a 6 week notice of termination in December this year, and the company decides to let me go before the 6 weeks notice, are they obligated to pay me my annual bonus in February, even though I won't actually be employed by them in February? Also, what about the 25% vested portion of my option that vests at the end of January? Thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, if an employee is not employed at the time the bonus is actually paid, the employee is not entitled to collect the bonus unless the employer has some written policy to the contrary.
As far as your stock options, unless there is some restriction stating you lose them upon termination, those portions that are vested would remain, but any portion of the options that has not yet vested would be lost.
If you give a 6 week notice in December, the employer could terminate you immediately and you would lose any options that are not vested, but any portions that are vested you would be entitled to.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.