Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I need to file a restraining / protective order served to

Customer Question

I need to file a restraining / protective order served to someone in another state who stole from me and not sure where she is.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is now threatening my family, job, and I and want to make sure protected.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The problem is that if you do not know where she is, you cannot file a restraining order or even a harassment suit against her. Such a suit or restraining order has to be filed in the state/city where she is located in order to have personal jurisdiction over her.
Your only other alternative is you would have to try to file a criminal electronic communication harassment case against her and get the police to investigate to determine where she is located and then you can pursue your civil orders in that state where she is located.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.