Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I'm leasing a property in Delaware in where I have mold in

Customer Question

I'm leasing a property in Delaware in where I have mold in the home/basement. I put the owner on noticed before and after I moved in that it was a mildew smell and he had contractors paint the walls and use Kilt spray to remove I moved on in to the property and found out 3 months later the mold was now showing all under the stairs in the crawl space and on the air vent. He now do not want to renew my lease, I stop paying rent... etc can I file a civil lawsuit for the lost of items, pain and suffering of having to move?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the landlord has failed to properly remediate the mold and provide a safely habitable premises, then this violates the warranty of habitability guaranteed by your lease. So you need to inform him he is in breach of the lease and if he does not fix the problem you are going to sue for breach of the lease and for the costs of having to move as well as for any medical harm the mold has caused you to suffer.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.