Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I was recently pulled over in NM will traveling and a

Customer Question

I was recently pulled over in NM will traveling and a highway patrol deputy pulled me over and said I was speeding. Initially he said I was going 85mph in a 75mph zone. That couldn't have been the case because I had the cruise control set for 74mph. My question is, is it normal procedure to be asked to step out of my vehicle for a false accusation of speeding? Do I have to step out of my vehicle for a simple speeding infraction? I feel I was being profiled?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NM
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just a warning ticket
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

The answer is, yes. If an officer stops your vehicle, he can ask you to produce your license and registration, he can order you to step out of the car and pat you down for his safety, and he can detain you briefly. This has been true since Terry v. Ohio defined the law as to street and auto stops back in 1968.

This is not to say that you that you may not have also been profiled. But he does have the right to make you exit the vehicle.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.