Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

My wife received a ticket for 39.4-56.4 IMPEDE HAMPER

Customer Question

My wife received a ticket for 39.4-56.4 IMPEDE HAMPER TRAFFIC in addition to 39:4-67 & 39:4-115. I know the last one has a penalty of 3 points. For 39.4-56.4 she has to go to court. When I read this section it is unclear to me if she potentially faces suspension of her license. Section 39:4-56.2 discusses suspension and I am not sure if the 2 sections go together. Please advise.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, NJ.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that there were 3 tickets in 1 shot for a mistaken left turn
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

39:4-56.4 is the statute that gives the state of New Jersey the power to apply any of the penalties mentioned in the act. 39.4-56.2 says that a conviction for a violation of the Act shall include a year's loss of license. So unfortunately, yes, your wife's license is potentially at risk. To try to protect it, it's best she has a lawyer with her when she shows up for her court date.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.