Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Attorney
77496635

I received a speeding ticket in D C on Nov 9 2016 I live in

Customer Question

I received a speeding ticket in Washington D C on Nov 9 2016 I live in Florida and have never been there The photo shows a Ford Expedition and I have never been in Washington D.C and I drive a2004 Chevrolet Silverado ,they have my Fl. tag placed on that Ford . They say that if I do not pay the $150.00 fine by 17 Dec. it will increase to $300.00 and they may come and put a lock on my vehicle . the registration that they show says that it is a Chevrolet .couldn't get a straight answer out of DMV Washington D C , mostly I could not understand her foreign accent
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Marc replied 17 days ago.

Dear Alvin,

My name is Marc. I'm a licensed attorney and I will be happy to assist you.

The good news is that you do NOT have to pay any fine. This communication you received is part of a recent and known scam.

The District’s Department of Motor Vehicles has warned about a new email scam trying to collect money from past due tickets.

People are receiving an email from***@******.*** saying that they have a Notice of Unsatisfied Photo Enforcement Ticket.

The email also instructs customers to click the link to “Lost Traffic Tickets.”

The DMV says the Photo Enforcement tickets are mailed through the United States Postal Service to the address of record based on the tag number.

Also, the DC DMV only contacts customers if they signed up for the email alert system.

This also explains why you couldn't understand the foreign accent. It's because she was most likely overseas - in Africa, probably.

Do not call or respond to any emails. They are trying to steal your money.

I hope this helps, Alvin! There's a new scam like this every day, so it was wise for you to inquire about this odd communication you received.

If satisfied with my answer, please be sure to rate my answer, since that is the only way I can receive credit. Meanwhile, happy Thanks Giving!

Kind regards,

Marc