Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a foreign student studying in NY. I have only a NY

Customer Question

I am a foreign student studying in NY. I have only a NY learner permit and Chinese license. Last month, I went to NJ for visiting my friend. On the turnpike, I was a little drowsy and rear-ended another car. Two passengers on my care were not injured. I have no idea how the passengers on the other car were. However, according to what the insurance company later told me, three of passengers in that car were injured. But at that time, no ambulance came, so I assumed they were not injured severely.The police gave me two tickets for unlicensed driver and careless driving.Yesterday was the informed court date. I went to the NJ court. The judge told me, because it was an accident, and blablabla(sorry for me English, I didn't hear it clearly. I need to plea guilty and something). He said the court would send me a mail in 10 days. What does this mean?Would I been sent to jail or deported from US? Do you have any similar case before?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

If you did as the Judge directed and pled guilty, you would be assessed points on your driving record and your insurance premium would increase. For more information, click here. Because New Jersey and New York are members of Driver License Compact and share information, a traffic violation in New Jersey would be treated as a traffic violation in New York.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Would it make any effect on my immigration record? Or would I be sent to the jail for unlicensed driver? You know, the accident was all my fault.

Would it make any effect on my immigration record?

Response 1: No, it will not because the accident does not involve driving under influence of drug or alcohol.

Or would I be sent to the jail for unlicensed driver? You know, the accident was all my fault.

Response 2: No, you would not. You be assessed a fine.

Kindly take a minute and use the popup screen to give a 5-star rating to my response so that I can receive proper credit for addressing your concerns. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You know, I went to the municipal court on Wednesday. The judge told me to received another mail in 10 days. I didn't hear it clearly. What does it probably mean for this?Besides, these are two summons. On the mail the court sent to me, the court "state vs" me. Is this still considered as a civil problem? Is it necessary to hire a lawyer?