Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

I got a hadicap parking ticket at a walmart parking lot am

Customer Question

I got a hadicap parking ticket at a walmart parking lot am diabetic cant walk to much and i used my moms hadicap placared of my deceased mom i am trying to get mines
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New jersey I know the fine is 250.00
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes thats what tickets says
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: For today this morning
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It is illegal to use a handicapped placard issued to someone else, and it's unfortunately not a defense that you also qualify to receive on your own. The law expects a person in your situation to get a temporary placard or otherwise wait to receive one in the mail. This is a strict liability offense, so the judge is ONLY going to be looking at whether you used the placard and whether you had a legal right to do so. It's not a defense that you may have had a good reason for doing so.

What you can do is go to the courthouse and ask the District Attorney if they'll agree to lower the fine in exchange for a guilty plea, or you can see if it's possible to do community service rather than paying the fine. They tend to have multiple organizations you can use to do the service, so it may be possible to find something that works with your disability. If not, you can ask to establish a payment plan.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.