Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law
12176198

I got speed traffic ticket + reckless driving ticket in NJ,

Customer Question

I got speed traffic ticket + reckless driving ticket in NJ
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I did not understrand the question
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: None
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 22 days ago.

Hello.

So that I can best help you, what is it that you want to know about your tickets?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I got 1) ticket, 39:4-96 reckless driving
another 2) ticket, 39:4-98 - speeding in excess of speed limit by: 30-34 MPH,
I have PA license and this ticket is issued in NJ.how grave are the charges and will my license be revoked, will there be prison time for this, what is the chances of having a attorney to fight this case to remove them.there is discrepancy in the ticket description of the car color, can I have these tickets striked for this mistake in facts on ticket
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I was driving at 100 in 65 zone with no restrictions like work zone etc.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll get you your answer in a few minutes.

First of all, to answer the easier question, no, it is unlikely that your tickets will be struck for having a wrong color car on the citations. The car color is irrelevant to the charges. If the officer can identify you as the person who was speeding/driving recklessly, and you were properly advised of the charges against you, that is all that will really matter in court.

As for the penalties, reckless driving is the more serious of the two citations, because it can carry jail time...specifically, up to 60 days in jail and/or a fine of $50-$200. The speeding typically carries a fine of around $260.

Luckily for you, while Pennsylvania receives a report of your convictions from out of state, they do not typically assess points for what they consider minor violations. So they won't give points for speeding. It is unclear if PA considers reckless driving minor or not, but you can call the hotline and verify whether it is or is not:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BDL/BDL%20Fact%20Sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

Regarding the tickets, even though the possibility of jail time is there, you probably won't get any unless you have a bad driving record. Because it is a serious charge, however, I would recommend finding a traffic lawyer in NJ to handle the tickets. Most will do it for a flat fee (as opposed to hourly). A lawyer may be able to negotiate the reckless driving down to careless driving or something less serious, or may even be able to get the reckless driving charge dropped in exchange for just paying the speeding ticket. So I would suggest getting one just to protect yourself and to work a reasonable deal out on your behalf.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What about license revocation/suspension possibility with these charges if I don't contest, or driving restrictions in NJ by me. I am not sure if I have even driven 100 MPH as said by cop I was more then 65 but 100 MPH I am also surprised.

Your license shouldn't be revoked because the points should not transfer, but I would still verify at the phone number that is included in the document that I linked to that PA considers reckless driving a minor offense. It was not listed in the major offenses where points transfer, but if you want to be sure, they should be able to help you at that number to confirm.

I wish you well with your case. I'd appreciate it if you'd leave me positive feedback so I get credit for my answers. Thanks, ***** ***** care!

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 20 days ago.

Hello. I noticed you haven't yet rated my answers. Is there something else you needed to know?