Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 years exp in driving issues
20355756

I have a restricted DL presently. If after moving to

Customer Question

I have a restricted virginia DL presently. If after moving to tennessee could i obtain a regular license there?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No, that is all finished
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Because all states have interconnected computer systems, TN will not give you a full license until your restricted VA license is restored. You may get by the initial application phase in TN and actually receive a license, but even if you get the license, within a few months the computers will catch up to you and TN will send you a letter either restricting or cancelling your license until the matter in VA is taken care of and your license is restored in VA.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be given credit for my time assisting you today. I am not given any credit at all for answering your question today unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Mary, i wondered if TN not being a member state of the DLC there could be a way to go.

By "computer" what information exchange method does TN use?

Hello again --

-

I honestly do not know which computer system that TN uses for these matters. However, because they share a state border even if they are not part of the DLC they most assuredly ascribe to "reciprocity" -- which is a compact that each state has with its border states to share information regarding drivers and through their respective DMV's. As I said, you may get away with it for a while, but sooner or later you will receive a notice in the mail that because your license is restricted in VA it is also restricted in TN.

-

-

MARY