Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My temp visitor expired in my drivers license but my license

Customer Question

My temp visitor expired in my drivers license but my license isnt. I wanted to travel to texas this christmas and i was wondering if itll be an issue since its expired and also i have a passport from peru would that be an issue as well
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in ny
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It does not matter if your license is still valid, if your visa is expired you are supposed to leave the US. There is no legal grace period, but there is no legal penalty for overstaying less than 6 months. If you over stay more than 6 months you will be barred from re-entry to the US for up to 10 years. If you are traveling within the US they will not check your visa or passport, only your license, but ultimately you can end up in trouble if you do not end up compliant.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I obtained my working permit and social through the dream act
Thank you for your reply.
If you do not have a permanent resident card (green card) then you cannot remain in the US beyond the expiration of your visa date.