Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have a car parked for 2 years with an expired registration

Customer Question

I have a car parked for 2 years with an expired registration and the plates still on it. I'm going to sell car to a place that uses it for parts. I am concerned that I may get in trouble if I return plates. I am from NJ. Please help me resolve the situation.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

There is no penalty for returning expired plates. In fact under NJ law you are supposed to return plates that are no longer in use.

You can return them by mail:

Send by mail:
Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 141
Trenton, New Jersey###-##-####/p>

Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope in order to receive a receipt once you surrender your plates by mail. You will need to save this receipt. It is proof that the plates were surrendered.

The greater risk is that the plates fall into the wrong hands and are misused. If someone gets the plates and gets ticketed you will have problems getting out of the ticket. That is why you want a receipt that the plate was returned.

There is no penalty for late return of the plate in NJ. (Some states do penalize you but NJ does not).

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald