Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

What are Florida statues on abandoned vehicle on property. I

Customer Question

What are Florida statues on abandoned vehicle on property. I have checked with the Police dept and the Sheriff, states not register to no owner and it was not stolen. The car has been on property for at least 8 years. How do I get ownership.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes, I have met court two times, but their has not been an owner that has come forth after all this time.
JA: Is this a civil court case or criminal court?
Customer: It is a civil court matter with lack of prosecution.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what forms I need that will apply to this case. 10-26-2016 the judge states need to get proper Fl stature on Abandonment and what notice do you have to give for abandoned vehicle. Court hearing is on Nov. 17, 2016.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to print the part of membership cancel and I couldn't print the results. This is why I don't trust on line payment.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With all due respect, just cancel membership and keep the 5.00 without taking any more funds from this account. Thank you, ***** ***** am not totally satisfied with your response to canceling the credit card. I want a copy sent to the email for confirmation. Thank you for your time. I have deeply regrets now.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 month ago.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0705/Sections/0705.102.html

states

705.102 Reporting lost or abandoned property.—

(1) Whenever any person finds any lost or abandoned property, such person shall report the description and location of the property to a law enforcement officer.

(2) The law enforcement officer taking the report shall ascertain whether the person reporting the property wishes to make a claim to it if the rightful owner cannot be identified or located. If the person does wish to make such claim, he or she shall deposit with the law enforcement agency a reasonable sum sufficient to cover the agency’s cost for transportation, storage, and publication of notice. This sum shall be reimbursed to the finder by the rightful owner should he or she identify and reclaim the property.

Did the police tow the vehicle or ask you to post a deposit?