Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  N/A
96078538

Just got a ticket for not signaling when I changed lanes. I

Customer Question

Just got a ticket for not signaling when I changed lanes. I DID signal. What do I do?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I guess so? I got a citation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at all I can't pay anything right now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I am an attorney with over 20 years’ experience in multiple jurisdictions and I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

You probably received a ticket under Sec. 545.104. SIGNALING TURNS; USE OF TURN SIGNALS.

(a) An operator shall use the signal authorized by Section 545.106 to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked position.
(b) An operator intending to turn a vehicle right or left shall signal continuously for not less than the last 100 feet of movement of the vehicle before the turn.
(c) An operator may not light the signals on only one side of the vehicle on a parked or disabled vehicle or use the signals as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to the operator of another vehicle approaching from the rear.

Because this is a Class C Misdemeanor and criminal offense in Texas, you must go and fight the charge. Of course hiring a seasoned traffic attorney is always recommended. However, if you are unable to do so, you must go forward pro se. Since it is a criminal offense, the officer or prosecution will need to prove their case beyond a reasonable down. The officer will probably testify that he saw you commit the violation himself and that your actions were dangerous to other drivers. You may be able to beat the charge by putting on evidence that your actions were safe and did not cause injury or harm to others and there were no accidents. You may be able to present evidence that you allowed enough space when you changed lanes and that the other drivers did not have to step on their brakes and come to a screeching halt. Maybe the officer's vantage point was not good and he had a poor view. Any of these defenses may help you get the case dismissed against you. A conviction carries up to a $500 fine. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.