Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

Today I turn left on Rosecrans and Hindry today during

Customer Question

Today I turn left on Rosecrans and Hindry today during yellow light. After, camera light flashes on my face. I was worried so I looked up lacourt.org and I did not see any ticket. What if they sent me the mail later? Do I have to pay?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hawthorne, CA
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: It just happened today that the camera flashed on my face. I think they will send me a mail later.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I looked up on lacourt.org using my driver license but there was not any ticket on there yet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Before a ticket will appear online, police officers review the photographs taken to determine whether the light was red when you went through it, if so, for how long, and how long it had been yellow - in short, they're looking to see whether you ran the light. The cameras take multiple pictures - one approaching the intersection, and more as the car is passing through. There are plenty of photographs taken that don't result in tickets. It's possible that what you saw was the very first camera, but that you made it before the intersection before the other pictures were captured. If they DO issue a ticket, it'll take a few weeks because they also have to pull your registration information from the DMV to find out who owns the car. You won't find anything there now. Wait a couple of weeks and check again. If it's still not there and you didn't get anything in the mail, it probably won't appear.

You are required to pay or dispute the ticket if you receive one. While the City of Los Angeles does not enforce these tickets if you literally do nothing, logging into check the website puts you on their radar (and the City of Hawthorne doesn't follow that policy). The California courts will send you information on how to dispute the ticket by mail if you prefer not to go to court - but you have to send in payment to do it that way. You'll also have the ability to pay the ticket and go to traffic school to have the points removed from your record, if you haven't done that within the last 18 months. The courts have approved traffic schools online, so you no longer have to give up a Saturday to do it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I drove my sister's car, so if they send the ticket in the future, will the ticket be sent to me or my sister?

It'll go to your sister. She'll then have to send in an affidavit that you were the one driving so she can have the ticket removed from her record and put on yours instead.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just tried to look up on lacourt.org using my license, and did not put any information about my sister on there. So if she get the ticket in the future, can she just ignore it?

No. It's only the CITY of Los Angeles that doesn't enforce the tickets, not all cities in Los Angeles County. The City of Hawthorne will penalize her if she receives a ticket and does nothing.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.