Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I'm gonna buy a used car from someone in Connecticut. What

Customer Question

I'm gonna buy a used car from someone in Connecticut. What paperwork should be provided to me from the seller so that I can register it in NY?. What should I look for and beware of? Should I get copy of their driver's license?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to transfer title to NY, you need a notarized bill of sale from the seller and they need to fill out and sign the title to you. You need the notarized bill of sale, signed title, most recent registration paper and proof of insurance to register the vehicle in NY and obtain a new title in your name.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We're can I get a copy of the bill of sale for him to fill out? Does he sign and notarize it or me?
Actually CT has their own bill of sale form which would be acceptable in NY, here it is and it does not have to be notarized: http://billofsale.net/wp-content/uploads/connecticut-dmv-bill-of-sale-H-311.pdf
I would fill out two copies and have him sign BOTH so you can keep one in a safe place and have an extra copy.