Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice

I went to pick up a vehicle in my name from a traffic

Customer Question

I went to pick up a vehicle in my name from a traffic violation scene... when i asked for the vehicle the officer told me it was being impounded and i am not able to get the vehicle until after the court date. Apparently the driver had fled the scene... when i asked for a Sargeant to be present on the scene he refused to get me one... as i sat in my other vehicle the officer came up to me and asked for my drivers license which i lost and advised him but i did have my id and my license is still valid... he then started to run my vehicle plates and inspect my vehicle and told me i could leave but not drive my car as i would be ticketed for my tint, my lights being out (which they werent) and for driving without my license... then gave me back my id and went back to his motorcyle... i happen to know someone in the force who advised me the arent supposed to take my vehicle if i came to the scene because it was only in a traffic violation... and to get their badge numbers and name and tell them im going to file harassment charges... i did so... the officer then came back to my car and told me to leave but i need to obtain recon for my tires which does not stick out... i told him i was waiting for the sargeant that i had to call and request when the sargeant arrived on the scene i could tell nothing would be done as they greeted with a handshake and hug and he took thr initiative to pull the sargeant to the side and speak with him... the sargeant advised i was able to go pick up my vehicle, so i asked for the keys which he insisted the tow company would have... i asked him if he was sure and he said yes. I told him what the officer said and he advised the officer should have known better and told me to just go get my vehicle... he did not address the matter at all... i contacted the tow company and they told me the officer kept the keys... when i contacted the police department and spoke with the sargeant that came to the scene he then flipped and tole me well thats upon the officers discretion and he'd call me back with the steps to obtain my keys... i had to call back because i received no call... and was then advised by another officer my keys were on its way to evidence and i could pick it up on friday... i had to pay $150 for towing fee and an additional $80 for them to tow it to my house because if i left my vehicle there the fees would have been more... what can be done? The officers words to me made me feel like I'd be a target for him to pull over and issue tickets to...
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. However, I am having difficulty understanding what you need assistance with at this time.

Did you get the keys from the officer?

What are your specific questions?

What is your main issue now that you need an answer to?

Thank you for your cooperation,