Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have been charged with "driving motor vehicle on highway

Customer Question

I have been charged with "driving motor vehicle on highway without required licence and authorization"
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: maryland
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my valid registration is for the State of Washington. Does that enter into the charge or is this simply operating a vehicle with an expired license?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Based on your facts it sounds like it is just operating a vehicle with an expired license. Often the police write down the name of the entire statute for due process and notice reasons. If your registration was valid in Washington and you hadn't moved to MD too long before then the registration doesn't apply.

If you had been living in MD over three months (I think that's the correct amount of time) then you are supposed to transfer the registration to the new state.

Were you living in MD or just visiting there? Where was your driver's license issued?

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nope. Been a resident of MD for 16 yrs.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Why is your car registered in WA then?