Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

Is a sentence of $600, 3 days community service, and a

Customer Question

Is a sentence of $600, 3 days community service, and a defensive driving class aporopriate for a first or second offense drivig on suspended license in arkansas appropriate?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Yes, it is. In fact, the judge did this defendant a favor.

Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor in Arkansas which carries a maximum of 6 months in jail and a minimum of two days in jail along with a fine of $500. It would appear that the judge allowed for community service in lieu of jail time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Even if the suspension was due to failure to appear on a no seat belt violation?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Yes. The reason for the suspension is not what's important. The fact that you were driving when you had no right to be driving is what the judge punished you for. Given the penalty range, he's well within his discretion to sentence you in this manner.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.