Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I purchased a vehicle in TX and was titled by the NJ. DMV.

Customer Question

I purchased a vehicle in TX and was titled by the NJ. DMV. Now the state of NJ wants to revoke my NJ title because they say I'm missing 3 reasignments. Is this legal and what can I do if I can't get the necessary paperwork
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you did not have a clear chain of title and they discovered that after you submitted your Texas title to be titled in NJ, yes they can revoke the NJ title and force you to prove the chain of title. If you cannot get the documentation necessary from the seller in Texas, you would need to file suit in Texas to quiet title and serve the seller and last registered owner of the vehicle and get the court to issue an order granting you title. If the seller sold you a vehicle without clear title, then you can also sue the seller to seek to either cancel the sale and refund your money or to pay all the costs of clearing the title you are going to incur.

You will need an attorney in Texas to clear the title from there if that is where the sale took place.