Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

If you are a licensed driver from marylnad, do you receive

Customer Question

If you are a licensed driver from marylnad, do you receive points from a Pennsylvania speeding ticket
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Live in marylnad. Ticket in Pennsylvania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. Ticket paid. Just wondering if points will be assessed to maRyland license
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, you will. Both states are members of interstate agreements that treat a speeding ticket received in another state as if it were received in your home state. You have the ability to go to PA to dispute the ticket and try to avoid the points that way. However, if you pay the ticket, you will receive points on your MD license. Here is more information, directly from the Motor Vehicle Authority.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/26100/26100-01T.htm

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had already read example try what you sent (the link). According to the link points are on lynne assessed in marylnad if traffic violation was vehicular manslaughter, hit and run, drug or alcohol related, or vehicle used In Felony crime. Therefore I assume speeding points will not be assessed to maryland license. I just wanted to make sure.

That list isn't all inclusive. The very first sentence says that points are assessed when a person is convicted of a moving violation. Speeding is a moving violation. Maryland WILL assess points for out of state speeding tickets.

Do you have any other questions about this?