Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  N/A

I found out that my EZ Pass account went to collections here

Customer Question

Good morning. I found out that my EZ Pass account went to collections here in MD for over $17K! We do not owe near that amount (~$700 is closer). Is there a way to settle for the actual owed amount in tolls without the excessive fees?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No. The accounts are with the Consumer Collections Unit in the state of MD.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. There's still an EZ Pass amount of $1239 that is NOT in collections. I was planning on paying that first, but I wanted to contact the lwayer first.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. At the end of this discussion I am going to ask you to please rate me, since that is the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note: The general information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The MDTA is an independent State agency that finances, owns, operates and maintains the State's eight toll facilities. In their Terms and Conditions, fee disputes must be made within 120 days from the date the transaction posted to your account. Here is a link to the Terms and Conditions. That being said, if the account was sent to collections, the dispute would need to be made with the Consumer Collections Unit. The Consumer Collections Unit offers payment arrangements as well. $17K is so far off from the $700 that you said that you actually owe. There must be some mistake. If you dispute the charges with the Consumer Collection Unit, they should be able to get to the bottom of this. If they find there was an error, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to settle the debt to something reasonable, especially in light of the fact that most of this amount is fees, rather than actual tolls. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.