Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

May I register a car in Texas to drive it legally without

Customer Question

May I register a car in Texas to drive it legally without holding title to that car? I have a car that I am going to repair and sell as an agent for the seller. The seller does not car to pay for a registration, and I dont care to pay the taxes to title it and then register it for a few weeks until I sell it. I just want to be able to drive it legally for 30-days at a time until it sells.and I have another question. I have in my possession a car with no available title. The car will not run and is not worth fixing and I dont want it on my property any more. Private businesses (junk yards and metal recyclers) will not take the car without a title. What may I do with the car?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i resolved the temporary permit issue. Now I am just concerned with what to do with an untitled car that I dont want on my property anymore.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Response: Unfortunately, you need a title for the car in order to dispose of it. There is no way to get around this.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem with that is that it creates an incentive for people to dump cars around the city.Did you obtain information specifically from Texas? I am in Bexar County.If what you say is accurate, I may have to go through a mechanics lien process to obtain title to an abandoned car. Or maybe abandoned is enough cause to obtain title?

Yes, the information that I provided is specifically related to the State of Texas. See Texas Transportation Code Title 7 Chapter 683 Section 683.056.You can review the rest of Chapter 683 to see what your options are.