Sierra900
Sierra900, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced California Attorney
19551178

How many DMV and insurance points one gets in NY for traffic

Customer Question

how many DMV and insurance points one gets in NY for traffic ticket for following too closely and the other one for flashing lights (interestingly both for doing this to the police car -- no kidding)? Please provide jusustification for your answer?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 3 months ago.

I will try and help. You did not indicate exactly which sections you were charged with, but based on your descriptions, its 2 each. Attached here is a link to a table that may help: https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/about-nys-driver-point-system

I hope this helps. Hollar if you need more.

DCG

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I presume they are both moving violations? and what about insurance points as per the initial question?

I don't know what you mean about insurance points. The DMV assigns points and insurance companies evaluate it based on that, but how a particular insurance company does that is up to them.

The DMV point count which ultimately affects your license is listed in the table.

DCG

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Insurance industry in NY is tightly regulated and it is not up to their discretion to assign the number of points for a given DMV violation. Thus I would like ot know how many "insurance" points are assigned for each of the above two violations in NY state?

I'm trying to help, but as noted on the page (the link I sent you) "Insurance companies have their own point systems and can increase your premiums based on your driving record. Contact your insurance company for more information."

I would have no way to know or ascertain how your insurance company would assess impact to your policy from these tickets.

DCG

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
exactly - insurance company point assignmnet system is different from DMV. However, it is the same for all insurance companies in NY -- and this is all this statmeent mean on DMV site. I woud recommend that you opt out. thank you.