CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was stopped in Ga memorial day weekend. I am 23 and this

Customer Question

I was stopped in Ga memorial day weekend. I am 23 and this is my first infraction with the law. I signed a ticket however, the officer did not give me a copy of the ticket. I was given a paper to call the court. I did not call the number. However just today I receive a letter from my state (AL) saying I missed my court day in GA. and my license has been suspended. What can I do since I never received the ticket telling me when was my court day ?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

You need to contact the GA Court and ask them if they can schedule a hearing to address your Failure to Appear.

Usually you will not need an attorney for this appearance, but you do need to show up.

Be prepared to be lectured by the judge regarding your obligation to call the court when the officer tells you to do that (your job at this point in the hearing is to nod your head and say "yes your honor").

Also, see if the court clerk can identify how much your total fine is - for both the actual citation and any failure to appear penalty. Bring that money with you (see if they accept checks or credit card, if not bring it in cash). If they cannot tell you, see if they may be able to estimate it. You should be able to pay your fine at the same time as your hearing.