Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I don't know if this would be the correct category, but here

I don't know if this would be the correct category, but here goes.
I have a 2013 f150 rated to tow 10k pounds. I will get commercial weight licenwe plates to make sure I do not require a cdl but have more than enough gvwr to handle my equipment trailer with a skid steer on it.
I will be towing a 3300 pound equipment trailer (gvwr of 12,300lb) with a 5850 lb skid steer on it. With the bucket and forks, I will be towing 6500 lb.
Add all that in, I will be at 9800lb towing. I plan on getting commercial weight license plates for 13,000 lb. This will keep me under the cdl requirements.
My question is: the truck receiver is rated for 5000lb bumper tow, 10100 weight distributing hitch tow. However, the equipment trailer is a pintle hitch and there is not a weight distributing receiver for a pintle hitch. What are the rules on this?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under OH law, a CDL is needed when:
Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; or
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of 10,000 pounds...
So if you are not exceeding the 26,001 pounds or are not towing more than 10,000 pounds you do not need a CDL.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That wasn't my question. My question was if a pintle hitch cannot have a weight distributing receiver, how does ODOT treat this situation? The factory receiver states to tow 10k lbs, you must have a weight distributing set up. A pintle hitch does not allow this set up nor is it offered anywhere. What does ODOT say should be done in this situation.

Thank you for your reply.

ODOT says nothing actually in the law. It just says that you can tow on a hitch up to the manufacturer's specifications. So as long as your hitch says says up to 10,000 pounds that is all you can pull, up to 10,000 pounds not 13,000 pounds or 11,000 pounds.