Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I didn't see a choice for DMV related, so I;m here.

Customer Question

I didn't see a choice for DMV related, so I;m here. Approximately 8 months ago a couple I had met while at the VA Hospital asked if I would drive them to the airport and then pick them up a week later. I could use the car while they were gone. I was told they had checked with their insurer and I would be insured. During this week there was an accident (no-one hurt). Upon their return I informed them of what had happened and gave my opinion that it was a scam. They said they would contact their insurer and maybe someone would get back to me from the insurance company. Nothing, until I get a call from the insurer representing the other party to the accident. I was informed they were unable to contact a insurance provider for the people who owned the car, that the claim had been settled, they had totaled the car, and I owed $9,000.00. I was surprised that no-one had bothered to at least ask my side of the story, or ask any information from me regarding the owners or anythin g else. I was not at fault, I still believe their party was running a scam because of the way the collision took place (and the coat hanger wire holding his bumper up off the ground). At this point I'm not agreeing to anything and want to find out my options, if any.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Contact the couple about your intention not to pay because you are not the faulty party.

Their insurance company should have contacted you before "settling'" the claim with other insurance company. In any event, since their car was insured and you were informed about this before taking the vehicle, there insurance should cover the "damages." You are not personally liable for the alleged damages.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.