Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I recently received a "Disability" license plate and a tag

Customer Question

I recently received a "Disability" license plate and a tag to place in rear view mirror. Where do I go from here ? How do I make my place of employment aware of disabilities?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Under the ADA, employers are required to provide reasonable accommodation only for the physical limitations of a qualified individual with a disability of which they are aware. So, it is the responsibility of the employee to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed. You can do this in writing as well as by requesting to meet with HR or your boss. I would recap the meeting conversation with a dated letter.

Reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits an employee with a disability to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by employees without disabilities. For example, reasonable accommodation may include:

• providing or modifying equipment or devices,
  • job restructuring,
  • part-time or modified work schedules,
  • reassignment to a vacant position

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you for using Just Answer.