Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My son was in a terrible accident yesterday and the state

Customer Question

My son was in a terrible accident yesterday and the state trooper told him that he didn't want to give him a ticket because of the situations of the road and accident but was required to because every time they make a stop they have to give a ticket. They gave him a ticket for failure to maintain proper lane. He is 19 and his license was suspended once and he is still in that three year window. First, if this a moving violation and 2) we were planning on fighting on it due to the circumstances. What are you thoughts?
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No was going to send in the ticket not guilty and go to court and just talk to the prosecutor prior to going in
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: There were two other accidents within less than a 1/4 mile of where my son got in his accident because of the same situation. The roads were like a sheet of ice it was 4:30 in the morning so it was dark and the road they were on was a highway with no lights in country
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Give me a minute to respond, thanks

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Here is the law for reference

Sec. 14-236. Multiple-lane highways. When any highway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, (1) a vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has ascertained that such movement can be made with safety and (2) the State Traffic Commission may erect, on state highways, and local traffic authorities, in accordance with standards approved by the State Traffic Commission, may erect on highways under their jurisdiction, signs directing slow-moving traffic to use a designated lane or, with signs, signals or markings, may designate those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the highway, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of each such sign, signal or marking. Violation of subdivision (1) of this section shall be an infraction.

A lawyer here is a good idea.The lawyer locally may be able to plead it down or get it dismissed.It would avoid it appearing on his record if the lawyer here can do so.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

This is a moving violation and has points with it.

The DMV assesses points for each of the following infractions:

• Operating at unreasonable rate of speed.
  • Speeding.
  • Failure to drive in the proper lane.
  • Illegal use of limited access highway by a bus, commercial vehicle, or vehicle with a trailer.
  • Improper operation on multiple-lane highways.
  • Improper operation on a divided highway.
  • Wrong direction at rotary or one-way street.
  • Improper turn, illegal turn, illegal stopping, or failure to signal intention to turn.
  • Improper backing or starting.
  • Failure to give proper signal.
  • Operation of motorcycles abreast, illegal passing.
  • Wrong way on a one-way street.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My son was in an accident on very slick roads on a totally dark road which there were two other accidents of the same nature within less than a 1/4 mile of them. The state trooper said that he had to give him a ticket because each time they make a stop they have to but he really didn't feel that it was necessary so they gave him a ticket for failure to remain in lane. We were going to fight the ticket and wanted to know if we had a chance and if this was considered a moving violation.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

It is a moving violation with a point applied here if found guilty.

Here is the schedule for that

Your lawyer can certainly argue the facts here and seek to argue that he is not guilty given the facts.

I am so sorry this happened to him, glad he is ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought so and I am going to argue you. Thank you we are lucky he is alive as his first impact knocked him out and the car is totalled there is no front end left to the car. As you can imagine it was very scary.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Wow amazing.Driving is the most dangerous thing most people do every day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

You are so welcome.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.