legal
legal, Attorney
Experience:  General Practitioner. Research Attorney
63726236

Im just curious to know if I am guilty of speeding in the

Customer Question

Im just curious to know if I am guilty of speeding in the state of Pennsylvania do those points assessed follow me here in North Carolina?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Im a resident of North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: In Pennsylvania yes
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  legal replied 4 months ago.

NC only addresses convictions that would result in the suspension/revocation of a license in NC; the relevant statute is below:

§ 20-4.24. Reports of convictions; effect of reports. (a) Reports. – A state that is a member of the Drivers License Compact shall report to another member state of the compact a conviction for any of the following: (1) Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle. (2) Driving a motor vehicle while impaired. (3) A felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle was used. (4) Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another. If the laws of a member state do not describe the listed violations in precisely the words used in this subsection, the member state shall construe the descriptions to apply to offenses of the member state that are substantially similar to the ones described. A state that is a member of the Drivers License Compact shall report to another member state of the compact a conviction for any other offense or any other information concerning convictions that the member states agree to report. (b) Effect. – A state that is a member of the Drivers License Compact shall treat a report of a conviction received from another member state of the compact as a report of the conduct that resulted in the conviction. For a conviction required to be reported under subsection (a), a member state shall give the same effect to the report as if the conviction had occurred in that state. For a conviction that is not required to be reported under subsection (a), a member state shall give the effect to the report that is required by the laws of that state. G.S. 20-23 governs the effect in this State of convictions that are not required to be reported under subsection (a). (1993, c. 533, s. 1.)

That is available here:

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-4.24.pdf

That does not prevent an insurance company from raising premiums based on an out of state conviction.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do the points carry over?
Expert:  legal replied 4 months ago.

Only if it is a reportable offense -ie manslaughter, DWI, etc.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you sure about that? A north Carolina Attorney just told me the points on your license does carry over through a national database.
Expert:  legal replied 4 months ago.

There is the Driver's License Compact that most states are a member of (47 states are members) but there is no national data bases.

http://apps.csg.org/ncic/Compact.aspx?id=56

I would ask what statute that person is citing because I have reviewed all of the statutes and there is no such provision.