Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

Is there any way that I can get it transferred to my county?

Customer Question

Is there any way that I can get it transferred to my county? So that I am able to do the first offenders program.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the county where the incident occurred is the only county where there is jurisdiction. So you cannot go court shopping for a better deal. Even though there may be no first offender's program in your area, your attorney can still seek a deferred judgment, which is where you pay the fine and do the sentence (probation, substance abuse class whatever) and upon successful completion the court will dismiss the charges. So your attorney can still work out a deal with the prosecutor on your case even without the county having a first offender program.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The officer told me that this will not go on my record because it's a summons offense. I don't know how much of that is true because the officer also told me that I wouldn't be getting my licenses suspended at all. That is why I think it's a little much for them to be able to take my licenses away and tell me I can not drive to work or school for 90 days.
Thank you for your reply.
The officer telling you that is not a lie that would qualify you to have the ticket dismissed though. The police do not make those decisions, the judge does. You can appeal the suspension of your license based on the fact you were not driving at the time of the alleged offense. Also, the DMV can issue you a hardship license for driving to school or work. Unfortunately, the fact is underage drinking is against the law, so there are some consequences for that and as I said, there are things you can do with an attorney to minimize this such as getting a deal for a lesser offense, so in these cases it is well worth paying a local attorney to represent you.