Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Am I legally responsible to compensate my neighbor for

Customer Question

Am I legally responsible to compensate my neighbor for accidentally hitting his 10 year old service dog that was unleashed, unsupervised that was standing in the middle of the driveway.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Only if you were negligent in hitting the animal. You should not be responsible if the animal was unleashed and on your property, so unless it was intentional then you should be fine. There is no cause of action if there is no negligence or intentional conduct on your part. It is possible that your neighbor could be responsible for any damage to your car caused by the accident if he/she was negligent in keeping or maintaining the animal. So to answer your question, most likely not.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1=5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Just checking back in do you have any further questions?