Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have ny license and I got 2 moving violations in NJ, will

Customer Question

I have ny license and I got 2 moving violations in NJ, will that be points on my license or I can just pay the tickets and it won't effect my license at all.
According to my knowledge NY shares the point system with NJ but people are telling me that I won't get any points.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry to tell you that the points will be assessed in your home state. Who ever is telling you that you will not get points is NOT correct. New York and New Jersey are part of an agreement between many states to share and enforce traffic citations. The agreement is called the Non-Resident Violator Compact, and all states except for Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon, and Wisconsin are members.

Although a little dated this manual describes how the Compact works:

http://www.aamva.org/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/DriverLicensingIdentification/DL_ID_Compacts/NRVC%20Procedures%20Manual.pdf

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to be more specific. If I just pay these violations, I will be getting points on my ny license?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please take a look here https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets-received-another-state

I'm sorry I misread your original post. New York does NOT assess points for out of state violations.

I misread and thought you had the New Jersey license. New Jersey assesses points against their residents who get a ticket out of state. New York does NOT assess the points.

See this article for more details:

http://newyorkspeedingfines.com/out-of-state-speeding-tickets/out-of-state-traffic-ticket-ny-license/

I apologize for any confusion.

Kind regards,

Gerald