Legal-Kal, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa

Is it possible to reopen a case that was already judged last

Customer Question

Is it possible to reopen a case that was already judged last month , because I wasn't with it , nor did I know the ramifications of pleading guilty?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

May I ask, as it is relevant to the question, in which state would this matter be in and what date was the plea entered?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The accident occurred in Colo, Iowa and the and the case was heard in Ames, Iowa .The accident occurred approximately Sunday June 5, 2016 .

An individual who enters a plea of guilty may seek to withdraw it by filing a Motion in Arrest of Judgment setting forth the legal basis for the attempt to withdraw the plea of guilty. These motions/requests are not automatic but up to the Court. There are requirements for these motions. They must be filed:

1) Within 45 days of the date that the plea was accepted; and

2) Within 5 days prior to the sentencing.

Any questions based on this? If so, please ask and I can provide further information.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to provide general information until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When does sentencing typically follow a finding of guilty ? ?
That is different in every case. Some courts sentence a person the same day they please guilty, other courts continue the matter to a later date for sentencing. You would definitely know if you were sentenced (because the court tells you the sentence, I.e., fines, community service, etc.).

As a reminder, a response to your most recent question has been posted. If you have questions based on this, please ask.