Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law

I received a careless driving citation today ( County) into

Customer Question

I received a careless driving citation today (Douglas County) for moving into a middle lane of traffic because I thought the traffic control cop was motioning me in that direction on S. University near St.Andrews Church. A car in that lane hit my right rear bumper. No injuries. I had an old proof of insurance but not my current one so was given a ticket for that as well. What are your thoughts. I have no previous accidents or tickets. Thanks.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 months ago.

Since you have an otherwise good driving record, it might be worth it to go to court. You may not get all the charges dropped, but it is likely that if you show up with proof of current insurance that at least you can get that charge dropped. The careless driving will be harder to dispose of, because even if you thought the officer was motioning you over, you still have an obligation to make sure the lane is clear and you can make the change safely. However, you may still be able to get a reduced fine or something like that given your good record. There is no guarantee, but it is fairly low risk. The only disadvantage to going to traffic court is you could get the same fines plus court costs. But typically, judges will cut a break for first offenders, and so it is generally beneficial to go and try to get a better deal than just paying the tickets.