legal, Attorney
Experience:  General Practitioner. Research Attorney

I got a speeding ticket going 71 in a 55 in honoloki,

Customer Question

Hi I got a speeding ticket going 71 in a 55 in honoloki
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Honolulu
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i was flustered and couldn't find my insurance card so I got a ticket for that too. But when I got home it was in my glove box
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: also I am a military wife who just got to Hawaii a few weeks ago but my card been here for a few months so I didn't register it yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: got a ticket for no registration and not registering it within 30 days
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I write a letter and send it in with the ticket and what should I write in the letter?
I do not want an appearance. I will be too nervous
I'd like to try to get the speed reduced, is that only possible if I appear or do I have a chance with a letter?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The officer showed me the radar gun showing 71 so I guess there's no disputing that. I was in the HOV bringing my mom to the airport just going with traffic
Expert:  legal replied 3 months ago.

The written response is for when there are mitigating circumstances that the individual wants the judge to consider; if one is interested in actually challenging the ticket, they need to request a hearing.

So for example, the letter would be a sufficient avenue for an insurance offense-stating that one was nervous and could not locate the card, but that there was in fact insurance (and a card or a statement from the insurance company showing the policy was effective on the date of insurance is helpful).

As for the actual speed, when there is a radar used, an experienced attorney will challenge the actual radar-for example, were there any obstructions between the radar and the car, did the police have adequate training on this particular model, was the radar maintained according to manufacturer's instructions. All these can go to whether the judge will throw out the ticket.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legal replied 3 months ago.

Checking in on the above;

Thanks for using Just Answer!